MB Parent Letter - August 20, 2021
August 20, 2021
Dear Parents and Guardians,
Welcome back to our Middlebrook families! Hopefully, this letter finds you in good health, relaxed from family vacations, and ready to gear up for a new school year. If you are a family new to Middlebrook, you can expect a Friday letter throughout the school year. This weekly letter is just one way we hope to engage families as partners in meeting the academic and social-emotional needs of students, and a way to keep you up-to-date on the latest news from “The Brook.” It is our collective hope that you find these letters informative and helpful. Typically, we will email the letter at 5 PM on Fridays.
The Powerschool Parent Portal opened today at noon for Middlebrook families. After some initial technical difficulty, the system appears to be working properly. If you have not done so already, please access the PowerSchool Parent Portal to see your child’s team assignment and class schedule.
Dean Kawulicz, Dean Querzé, Dean Whelan, and I are genuinely excited to welcome our students for the start of school on August 30! We are incredibly grateful to our Middlebrook School PTA President, Mrs. Michelle Haggerty, for her assistance and support as we ensure that we are responsive to student, staff, parent, and community ideas.
This week’s topics:
Update from the August 19, 2021 BOE Meeting
Introduction of staff new to Middlebrook School
Walkthrough/Meet the Teachers - August 26, 2021
A Snapshot of a Day in the Life of a MB Student
Note from Our Health Office
School Supply Lists
Please Join the PTA
Resources for Parents/Guardians
Update from the August 19, 2021 BOE Meeting
At the BOE meeting last night, it was agreed that the school year will start with all members of the school community wearing masks while indoors. Details are outlined in the Governor’s August 5, 2021 Executive-Orders and reaffirms the CT Commissioner of Public Health's right to identify the facilities in which masks are required regardless of a person's vaccination status. Fully vaccinated teachers will be permitted to remove their masks during active instruction at the front of the classroom while students are seated at their desks. (Masks will be worn at all other times indoors.)
Additionally, the BOE agreed to adjust our school day to end five minutes later. Middlebrook School will now dismiss at 2:55 PM. Please adjust your plans accordingly.
Staff New to Middlebrook School
We are happy to add several new faces to our teaching staff. Please join us in welcoming the following new teachers for 2021-2022:
Danielle Bottinger will teach Reading Workshop on 7 Green
Sasha Cordero will be teaching French in grades seven and eight
Sara Marr will be working with our English language learners
Jillian Pandolfino will be teaching mathematics on 7 Green
Niall Reynolds will be teaching music at WHS and Middlebrook
Alyssa Sharpe will be teaching Writing Workshop on 6 Red
Avery Starr will be joining us as a special education teacher
Shabiroon Vereen will be joining us to teach art
(You might recognize Ms. Vereen since she is coming to us from Cider Mill.)
Walkthrough/Meet the Teachers Masks Are Required
Middlebrook will host a Parent/Student Walkthrough on Thursday, August 26, 2021 for families who wish to attend. Students, accompanied by their parents, are invited to visit to meet their new teachers. All family members must wear a mask to enter the building.
Please understand that attendance is not required, and families may rightfully choose to avoid being part of a large crowd. Your children will receive plenty of orientation from teachers during the first days of school, so if they miss the walkthrough, your child will not be disadvantaged.
Grades 7 and 8 walkthrough will be from 12:00 -1:00 PM (Organized by last name)
12:00 - 12:25 Last names starting with A through H
12:35 - 1:00 Last names starting with I through Z
Grade 6 walkthrough will be from 2:00 -3:00 PM (Organized by last name)
2:00 - 2:25 Last name starting with A through H
2:35 - 3:00 Last name starting with I through Z
While it is not required, I recommend that you print a copy of your child’s schedule from the PowerSchool Parent Portal, and bring it with you to the walkthrough. Whenever possible, only the student and his/her parents or guardians should attend the walkthrough to reduce the volume of people in the building at one time. We also encourage you to please be mindful of your time to allow for a steady flow of visitors.
A Snapshot of a Day in the Life of a Middlebrook Student
· Beginning at 8:00 AM, students will enter the building from the bus loop and from the drop off area
· Students will wear masks throughout the day while indoors; mask breaks are part of our daily bell schedule; sneeze guards on student desks will not be used
· Students will sanitize their hands upon entering the building and will be encouraged to do so throughout the day
· Staff will be in the hallways throughout the building to encourage students to make their way directly to their teambase, minimizing student congregating or walking into other team areas
· Students will go directly to their teambase classroom after putting coats/instruments in lockers
· Students will have the option to use their backpacks throughout the day to keep supplies/materials readily available
· At 8:10 the first bell will ring, reminding students that they should be in their teambase
· At 8:20 a second bell will ring and teambase exercises will begin
the pledge of allegiance will be recited over the PA system followed by a moment of silence
attendance will be taken by the teambase teacher
important announcements will be made
· After teambase, students will proceed to their first class of the day
· Students will move from room to room during passing times; they are expected to remain at least three feet apart whenever possible.
· Students will participate in eight periods throughout the day following a typical 6 day rotating cycle
· Students will participate in academic classes daily